ZimLA 47th Annual Conference, 2013
Event: 47th Conference/AGM and Exhibition,
Venue: Peacock Hotel & Villas, Mutare,
Dates: June 24th – 28th 2013
“Informing Zimbabwe, Developing Zimbabwe: Libraries Powering Development”
Across Zimbabwe, libraries are transforming themselves to serve as platforms for development. To further this, in June 2013 library information practitioners will meet under the theme of “Informing Zimbabwe, Developing Zimbabwe: Libraries Powering Development” over the course of five days, delegates will engage with each other to dialogue and discuss the opportunities for creating successful 21st century libraries that contribute to the development priorities of Zimbabwean communities.
The rural farmer needs to connect with new markets to sell his crops. The start-up entrepreneur needs capital to launch her business. The community health worker needs up-to-date research to care for her patients. What they all have in common is a need for information. Today’s library combines a trusted, local institution with information access that is critical to powering economic opportunity and community development.
1. Towards an enabling environment for libraries
2. Libraries addressing development goals: a focus on good practice
3. Going forward: what must happen to improve libraries?
Pre-Conferences June 24th 2013:
• Public Libraries Consortium
• Government and Special Libraries Consortium
• College and Research Libraries Consortium (CARLC)
• School Libraries Consortium
• Church and Theological Libraries
• LIS/RAM Research, Education and Training
• Records and Archival Management (RAM)
Call for Abstracts and Posters and the Proposal should include:
Important dates and deadlines:
- Call for Papers & Posters November 12th 2012
- Abstract submission deadline February 1st 2013
- Notification of acceptance for presentation at the Conference March 1st 2013
- Submission of complete/final Paper May 1st 2013
- Submission of PowerPoint Presentation May 31st 2013
You can contact the Organising Committee on
• General: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Bhowa tg email@example.com
Student Paper Award
ZimLA will award two (2) Best Student Paper(s) and or Poster(s). The Paper or Poster should be based on the following theme “a strong association for a strong profession”. Student Conference Package/Sponsorship will be availed. Please note important dates and deadlines above.
Please note ZimLA reserves the right to accept any Paper or Poster and no correspondence shall be entered into for non acceptance. Abstracts will be included in the Conference Programme and selected Papers and Posters will be published in The Zimbabwe Librarian Journal. Prospective Speakers will meet their own Conference and related costs.
For further information on the 47th Conference 2013 on “Informing Zimbabwe, Developing Zimbabwe: Libraries Powering Development”, please contact:
Harare City Library
Civic Centre, Rotten Row
PO Box 1087, Harare, Zimbabwe
+263773 060 307 or +263733 515 048 or Twitter @zim_la